By: Natalie Kaweckyj, LDA, RF, CDA, CDPMA, COA, COMSA, CPFDA, CRFDA, MADAA, BA
Are you looking to become a dental assistant or are moving as a current dental assistant? Make sure to check the dental assistant requirements in Missouri to see if you are still qualified in the state to practice.
Each state has different requirements for dental assistants, here are the levels, and functions permitted for dental assistants in MO.
Levels of Dental Assistants in Missouri
There are two levels of dental assistants in MO:
1. Dental Assistant
A dental assistant in the state of Missouri may perform basic supportive dental procedures specified by the state dental practice act under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist. There are no education or training requirements for this level of dental assisting.
A dental assistant or holder of DANB’s CDA certification may, under direct supervision, assist in the administration of and monitor nitrous oxide analgesia if he or she meets the following requirements and completes one of the following:
- Successfully complete formal certified training in a course approved by the Missouri Dental Board AND
- Pass an approved competency test regarding clinical and didactic training
- Submit proof to the Missouri Dental Board of having been certified in another state to assist the administration of and monitoring of nitrous oxide subsequent to equivalent training and testing
- Obtain a permit from the MO Dental Board
2. Expanded-Functions Dental Assistant
To perform expanded functions under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist in the state of Missouri, an expanded-functions dental assistant must hold expanded functions permit from the Missouri Dental Board. Rules for E-FDAs.
To earn the expanded functions permit, one must complete one of the following:
- Hold DANB Certified Dental Assistant (CDA) certification and graduate from a CODA-accredited dental assisting program in which competency testing in the appropriate expanded functions category* was completed, OR
- Hold DANB CDA certification and complete a Missouri Dental Board-approved expanded functions training course, OR
- Pass the Missouri Test of Basic Dental Assisting Skills (administered by DANB or another MO Dental Board-approved provider) and complete a Missouri Dental Board-approved expanded functions training course
- Hold current certification in the American Heart Association’s Basic Life Support for the Healthcare Provider (BLS), or an equivalent certification approved by the Missouri Dental Board
- Submit proof of meeting requirements along with the application form and established fee to the Missouri Dental Board
*Expanded functions permits are issued in five categories:
- Restorative I
- Restorative II
- Fixed Prosthodontics
- Removable Prosthodontics
Missouri Radiography Requirements
There are no radiography requirements for dental assistants in the state of MO.
All dental assistants may legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform dental radiographic procedures.
Photo by Jim Wilce