Are you looking to become a dental assistant or are moving as a current dental assistant? Make sure to check the dental assistant requirements in Wyoming to see if you are still qualified in the state to practice.
Each state has different requirements for dental assistants, here are the levels, and functions permitted for dental assistants in WY.
Levels of Dental Assistants in Wyoming
There are two levels of dental assistants in WY:
1. Dental Assistant
A dental assistant in Wyoming may perform basic supportive dental procedures specified by the state dental practice act under the supervision of a licensed dentist. Dental assistants may be trained by their employer or by an accredited or WBDE-approved program for dental assistants.
In settings where nitrous oxide anxiolysis, sedation, and/or anesthesia are administered, all dental personnel shall be certified in administering Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers. A dentist, operating dentist or sedation/anesthesia permit holder may delegate patient monitoring to qualified dental personnel.
2. Dental Assistant Qualified in Placement of Pit and Fissure Sealants
To perform placement of pit and fissure sealants under the direct supervision of a licensed dentist in Wyoming, a dental assistant must:
- Complete a Wyoming Board of Dental Examiners-approved pit and fissure sealants course meeting specified didactic and clinical requirements OR
- Complete a CODA-accredited dental hygiene or dental assisting program, AND
- Submit an application for a Pit and Fissure Sealant Certificate and complete the checklist demonstration competency and completion of the course to the Wyoming Board of Dental Examiners (WBDE).
The WBDE accepts successful performance on DANB’s Sealants (SE) exam to meet the requirements to earn the Wyoming Pit and Fissure Sealants permit.
- To learn more, visit the Wyoming Board of Dental Examiners
- Information gathered from DaleFoundation.org
Wyoming Radiography Requirements
To legally operate dental x-ray equipment and perform dental radiographic procedures under the indirect supervision of a dentist in WY, a dental assistant must:
- Complete a course or examination* in dental radiography approved by the Wyoming Board of Dental Examiners (WBDE), AND
- Apply to the WBDE for a dental radiography permit.
*DANB’s Radiation Health and Safety (RHS) exam meets the examination requirement.
Photo by Yuanpang Wa